We at SkinMed know how easy it is to start the year with good intentions, and that making New Year’s Resolutions is all well and good – it’s sticking to those resolutions that can be difficult.
A common resolution is to exercise more, which is fantastic for you both physically and mentally, with many of us now hitting the gym to undo the effects of burning the candle at both ends over Christmas. It can, however, have its drawbacks, from exacerbating the symptoms of acne and rosacea, to exposing yourself to excess free radical damage.
No need to cancel your gym membership though!
This week on SkinTheKnow, we’re offering our top tips on how to make the most of the New Year’s Resolution to stay fit and healthy and still get the best from your skin…
1. If you suffer from acne, remove all makeup and cleanse your skin before you exercise. This allows your skin to breath and sweat naturally, and clears away the dead skin cells and excess oil that can lead to blocked pores – no blockage, no spot!
2. Taking your exercise session outside can also make a huge difference, as it allows your skin a greater supply of fresh oxygen, which inhibits the anaerobic acne-causing bacteria that thrive in sealed rooms with recycled air.
3. Because your skin loses moisture as you exercise, it’s vitally important you stay hydrated inside and out. Skin can overcompensate for this moisture loss by thickening and producing more oil, to prevent water from escaping the skin, which can then lead to spots and blackheads. Using a moisturiser that both hydrates and strengthens the skin’s barrier slows down this process, keeping your skin clear and healthy.
4. Exercise can also cause a problem for rosacea sufferers, as strenuous aerobic activity can cause a flare-up. Make sure you’re properly prepared for the gym with a fast-acting rosacea treatment to bring down redness and irritation while short-circuiting the flushing process.
5. Finally, as always, to get the best from your skin, make sure you are sticking to your skin routine, twice a day, every day. This ensures the level of key ingredients in your skin stays high, to maximise your results.
We like to think of it as retraining you skin, and if you’re a regular gym goer you’ll know that they better you do the reps, the better the results.
Of course, it’s not actually as much effort as going to the gym.
To start your journey to clear skin, visit the SkinMed website, or for advice on how to get the best results from your skin, don’t hesitate to get in touch and a member of our dedicated team would be happy to help you.
Call: 0333 247 2474